21.7.13

Get Up and Move + A Chicken Tractor

Brett and I finally found ourselves with a beautiful day perfectly designed for us to get something done. I swear it seems as though it has been raining for months but the clouds have cleared and that's just right for getting up and getting out. I have found {and been told over and over like most Southern children} that 'the best way to get it done is to start it'. This week we found ourselves shocked that the summer has pushed on without us getting our chickens as planned. It turns out that the endless list of chores has "Chicken Coop" right at the head of it. Today happened to be the day we started our poultry farm. We just got up and did it. 

The supplies were easy to acquire. Luckily for us, we have a front yard about 20 acres big and it's full of supplies. Actually, the now cleared property was once a forest used to store things. Over 40 years the acres stored 'things' such as vehicles {there was once a Model-T Hotrod built completely of parts found here}, buildings, salvaged wood {of which has become an extremely valuable resource}, and scrap metal... lots and lots of scrap metal. Luckily, it was all cleaned up for me about 2 years prior to my arrival. So now I scavenge the hills and countryside for treasures I have come to adore. I have found a stash of a couple hundred mason jars, enough salvaged wood to build several barns and sheds for the farm, trailers, fencing, clothing {my favorite being a box of perfectly preserved 90's wear, all in my size and fashionably up to date!}, farming equipment, antique farming supplies and what nots... a lot of what nots. Today we were able to gather four boxes I have been eyeing for roosting nests, a few pieces of siding and salvaged 2x4s, fencing, nails, and two "bored" children. Three hours later we had ourselves a 'chicken tractor'.





Today was a big day! I am so thrilled to be set to enjoy guaranteed fresh home grown poultry in just a few months. Brett's placing bets on whether I will be able to part with them enough to actually eat them. I expect it to be hard but we have to eat. An activity I take with much greater indulgent reverence now that my favorite meals are the finish to a start of such deliberate action.

No comments:

Post a Comment