29.5.13

Progress!

I have such a list of things to do that I'm considering hiring help. You know, considering it in a way I consider becoming the Queen of England... it's never going to happen. Never-the-less this list is happening and I am more overwhelmed than ever now that the weather is permitting. I find that with lists the visual accomplishments are the most delightful. Take for example my garden. Brett and I have been toiling on this thing for months, which isn't unusual because we 'toil' on everything!

We have two gardens planted now. I decided on two separate spots mainly for convenience sake. The land is literally being cleared as we go. I also wanted to experiment with what we planted where. The dates were left up to accomplishing land prep. Although I have vigorously researched tips on how to grow everything I have planted there is still not a better way to learn than 'the business end of a pitchfork', as we have been told before. Unless you know someone like this guy:


Mr. Burke is a friend of Verner's and was visiting him at the house one day when Brett asked him if he would take a look at our garden. We were preparing the soil for the garden we were planting for bulk canning produce and the vegetables near the well house were already a few weeks along. He commended our efforts and then turned to Brett and said, "Take a ride to the house and let me show you what a real garden looks like." We all laughed and then hopped in the truck and took a ride. Loy grew up farming when his family farmed purely for the sake of feeding themselves. His awareness of GMO's and other evil's of processed food led him to revisit his knowledge and plant a garden of his own in the past few years. He feeds himself and his wife with his one acre plot and various other beds year round. I'll tell you this much, we learned more useful tips from him than we had learned online yet. Word of advice, find a farmer with over 50 years experience and make a friend.

So here you have it:

The Well House Garden
Planted 4/20

The Canning Garden
Planted 5/22

Today I reveled in progress. We have finally come to the point in our garden where we can take a break. The list can wait until tomorrow where we will literally flip a coin on whether to begin fencing the back yard in for the horses or to begin building the chicken coop. Although as I look outside, it appears while I have been blogging my darling husband has chosen for us. There are three fence posts set. So goes it!

Oh! Here is what we did today instead of work on lists:



Much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment