15.5.13

Whoopsy Daisy

Driveway Rule #1: Watch where you are going.

Look what I did. It doesn't look that bad. 


Au contraire, Ma' Dear. I was actually on time this particular morning. It was a beautiful Tuesday morning and I had errands to run and the time to myself. I kissed my lover goodbye and watched him and my father in law as they walked down the driveway, headed to the pasture. I jumped in the truck, the 6 day new truck, and instead of looking where I was going I snuck another peak at them. I smiled, pleased with my new memory, and within seconds as I pressed the gas and cut the wheel to back up I heard a terrible sound, "RIGOWHERIUF98ZCH"!!! That really is what it sounded like. 

You know that moment when you realize this moment in time is going to be relayed to every family member over every supper for the next 25 years. I can already hear my Poppa laughing, snickering, and then saying "Goood grief, Ashley Marie," too humored to chastise me. Besides, I am too old for that now. Score! And yes, I just claimed aging as a successful accomplishment.  Through aging, I have realized it is best to approach as many disasters as possible with humor. Laughter heals, People. You heard it here, too.

I did not even turn my head. I was set up perfectly to admire the look of sheer shock as they spun around expecting the worse. I could not help but giggle when Verner wheeled around concerned and then rolled his eyes. You see, Verner Hill drove a truck for quite a few years. At 72, he has seen just about all he could imagine of terrible women drivers but this time caused him to shake his head. Would you like to know how a Southern man treats a lady who has just found herself in a situation unbecoming of a lady? He leaves her the heck alone, solves the problem, and sends her on her way. I love how understanding and permissive of my clumsiness the men in my life are! 

It only took them taking the tractor boom off, turning the tractor around, using the boom to lift the truck up off of said scrape while meticulously pushing-it-in-a-manner-that-would-not-destroy-it-out-of-the-way. No biggie. However, now I was no longer 20 minutes early but 15 minutes late. 

Manure Happens.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic; Me running into your front porch suddenly doesn't seem so bad.

    ReplyDelete